Many people think that an old battery must be discarded and replaced with a brand-new one. While this is the only solution for those people, there is another way of getting a fully functional battery and save money; that is reconditioning the battery. Learning how to recondition batteries is the solution to reviving old batteries to new again when they stop working. A reconditioned battery will work just like a new one.
There is a common misunderstanding among many people in regards to recharging and reconditioning for being identical. The truth is that recharging a battery will only give it a charge for a period. However, battery reconditioning involves restoring the battery to its full capacity. Reconditioning batteries is a very simple procedure, and any person can do it perfectly. Just imagine how much money everyone can save by learning how to recondition batteries.
Table of Contents
- 1 Quick Tips to Recondition your Devices Battery at Home
- 2 How to Recondition Old Batteries and Save Money
- 2.1 5 Reasons You Should Learn How to Recondition Old Batteries
- 3 How to recondition dead batteries – Bring them Back to Life
- 3.1 The Science Behind Lead Acid Batteries
- 4 Simple Steps To Recondition Your Car Battery
- 5 How to recondition Your Laptop Battery
- 5.1 METHOD 1: Recalibration.
- 5.2 METHOD 2: Cooling the Laptop.
- 5.3 METHOD 3: Unplug at Full Charge.
- 5.4 METHOD 4: Remove the Battery When the Laptop is Plugged in.
- 6 How to Recondition Golf Cart Batteries
- 6.1 Expertise Perspective
- 6.2 Function Check
- 6.3 Conclusion
- 7 How to Recondition Hybrid Battery
- 7.1 What does Battery Reconditioning mean?
- 7.2 Present Hybrid Cars with Battery
- 7.3 Advantages of Reconditioning Batteries
- 7.4 Instructions on How to Recondition Hybrid Battery Pack
- 7.5 When to Replace Hybrid Car Pack
You will need some time and a few gadgets and items, but at the end, you will be able to get an entirely new battery. Your old, refurbished battery will have the same capacity and the same features as a brand new unit. We will discuss the steps to follow when reconditioning a car and a laptop battery in the paragraphs that follow. Pay attention to all the details, and learn.
Quick Tips to Recondition your Devices Battery at Home
We’ve all noticed it, whether we got our devices when they were new, or from some guy on craigslist, every year the battery life seems to get shorter and shorter. Over time, through the repeated charging and discharging cycles we subject our devices to, these batteries lose their ability to store electrons.
This explains why a MacBook you purchased 4 years ago may only last half as long as it used to on battery power, and why when we upgrade our electronics we perceive an even bigger boost in battery life than the “new” technology’s promise to provide.
Today we will cover how to recondition batteries at home, a simple step that can easily save you time and money in the long run, and make using your old devices enjoyable again.
Although we can’t stop the process of our batteries gradually dying each day, here are 5 quick tips on how to recondition batteries at home, and slow down, or even reverse the effects aging has on your batteries!
- Many people believe in fully discharging their batteries, or have a ritual of unplugging their devices immediately when they reach 100% charge. Studies have show that this does not in fact have any benefit to the life of the battery itself, as most devices are built with smart charging circuits which cut the flow of electricity when our batteries become fully charge.
There was however a noticeable increase in battery life when devices were plugged in before reaching 70% battery life. So if you want your devices to keep on ticking, for a lot longer than you’re used to, plug them in before they reach the 70% mark, and keep them charged up!
- We all know that different programs use different amounts of energy when run. For instance, Photoshop and Final Cut Pro will kill your battery a whole lot faster than Safari or Notepad might. Often times we have programs running in the background, programs that are not particularly useful to us at that point in time, that are killing our battery life. To diagnose this, simply open up the activity monitor on your operating system to see what is using the most battery life on your computer.
- With how “smart” our smart devices have become in recent years, its often hard to believe that they can become “confused” when it comes to battery life, but this is an unfortunate reality. Often times our devices won’t be calibrated to accurately read out our true battery percentages, resulting in lacklustre battery predictions and reduced performance by our phones and laptops.
To remedy this, simply discharge your device completely, until it shuts off. Once it shuts off, leave it for a full 24 hours in order to fully drain the battery. Once it is discharged, just plug it back in and charge it up to 100%. This will recalibrate your devices battery, and have you managing your battery power like a champ in no time!
- Another quick fix to number 3, above, is to reset your devices settings (on mobile) or to restore your device completely (Laptop / Mobile). This will also recalibrate and refresh your device. It also has the added benefit of removing any adware, or spyware that may be draining your battery.
- If all else fails, and your battery is on the ropes, you can try to recondition your batteries at home following step by step the battery reconditioning process. Reconditioning your devices battery is a lot easier than you might think. With older, lead acid batteries (the kind you find in your car) the process of reconditioning your batteries at home is long and gruelling work. With the introduction of lithium ion (or any variation thereof) batteries, the process of reconditioning is as easy as recalibrating your battery! Simply follow the steps in tip 3 or 4 (depending on your device) and your device should automatically begin reconditioning your battery to work optimally in the condition it is in. The slight adjustment of recalibrating will over time recondition your battery, and offer you the best performance you can get out of your battery in its current condition.
Now that you know how to recondition batteries at home, go out there and get your moneys worth! These quick tips are sure to give you the boost you need to get more done throughout the day, and to add value back into your devices.
How to Recondition Old Batteries and Save Money
As more and more people are converting their homes to operate on more renewable energy such as solar or wind powers the need to store that energy into batteries is a growing need. The problem with batteries is they have a life span and as soon as they hit that life span they decrease their capacity to hold a charge for a long period of time. This is why learning how to recondition old batteries is a growing trend among these communities.
Just to clear up a common misunderstanding, battery reconditioning and recharging are not the same thing, reconditioning a battery is all about restoring the battery back to its full capacity, making like new again, not just putting in another charge for a period of time.
If you do a search online you will find various methods and theories when it comes to reconditioning old batteries; however there are really only two main effective methods. There are mechanical device you can purchase that assist you in the reconditioning process and other people say you can simply make the devices yourself and save yourself even more money.
The methods used will largely depend on what type of battery you want to recondition. Almost every kind of battery can be reconditioned however the correct understanding, knowledge and safety equipment should always be used as batteries do contain dangerous chemicals.
Old car batteries are the most popular batteries to be reconditioned, you can usually pick them up really cheap if not for free, they also offer a long lasting charge if you are looking to replace your home energy bill from the main grid.
Many people once they learn how to recondition old batteries they often help out others by reconditioning their old batteries and make some extra income on the side. You can help the environment and make money at the same time!
5 Reasons You Should Learn How to Recondition Old Batteries
- With the increase in battery usage both in our homes and cars; there has never been a better time to learn this skill. Sure, I am aware of your objection that batteries contain potentially harmful chemicals. I agree that that is a very valid objection, but please consider, If you follow the proper safety procedures, and take some sensible precautions this shouldn’t cause you any problems. In addition, consider if you have the proper information, its so safe you can do the procedures in your home.
- You can pick up batteries to work on for free. The main reason behind that could be in many areas you may actually get charged for safely disposing of seemingly dead batteries. In addition many people do not know these batteries can be restored to a like new condition.
- Batteries are expensive, you will save yourself a fortune if you recondition old ones. Especially if you are thinking of home renewable energy projects or electric car power, both of which are becoming more and more popular. As well as the fact you will be able to make some money selling restored batteries for much less than a new one would cost!
- You will be doing your bit to save the environment. By prolonging the life of these old batteries you keep them out of landfill sites for longer.
- You will learn a skill that will only increase in demand in the future. Within all of the above info lies a first rate set of reasons in favor of providing this battery service for yourself and others.. What do You think?
How to recondition dead batteries – Bring them Back to Life
Many people want to learn how to recondition dead batteries to save money and even earn from it as a side business. It’s indeed not practical to readily throw away a dead battery when you can actually fix it and prolong its longevity. Also, reconditioning your batteries instead of replacing them is environment-friendly.
Batteries have chemicals that could seep into soils and end up in the waterways. Reconditioning batteries is indeed a practical, cost-effective, and eco-friendly solution that everybody should embrace.
The most common type of battery used in cars, motorcycles, equipment, and marine machines is the lead acid batteries. This type of battery is the oldest kind of rechargeable battery since the 1800s. The good thing about lead acid batteries is that they’re easy to recondition and reuse. If you’re excited to learn how to recondition dead batteries, this article will give you a quick and simple overview.
The Science Behind Lead Acid Batteries
Let’s first talk about how lead acid batteries work. They work by producing electricity via a chemical reaction. Lead oxide and lead on the plates of the battery tend to react with the sulfuric acid in the electrolyte to produce lead sulfate. This lead sulfate will then crystallize and stop the battery from recharging. Batteries that are sulfated naturally go weak and may not charge at all. The process that can reverse this tendency is called desulfation. This is the technique used to bring dead batteries back to life.
Although it could be time-consuming, this process is ultra-effective. Desulfation process is not as complex as it sounds. First, the lead sulfate buildup must be removed. To clean it off efficiently, magnesium sulfate or Epsom salt is needed. You generally just need this Epsom salt, a regular lead-acid battery charger, and distilled water. Before you begin, use protective gloves and eyewear for safety purposes.
Then, you can follow the steps here:
Step #1: Put some dry and clean Epsom salt into a dry cup. Measure around 10 teaspoons for an average-sized battery.
Step #2: Heat up the distilled water to almost the boiling point. Then, add that to the Epsom salt to form a thick liquid. Stir the mixture to dissolve the Epsom salt well.
Step #3: Pour the mixture equally into every battery cell and top off your battery as much as possible.
Step #4: After having the battery covered, plug in your charger and set that for high amps. Don’t use your smart charger to come up with a more readable meter. The meter will either read “zero” or “charged.” The process may take a few minutes depending on the extent of sulfation. Switch over to low current until your battery is charged in full.
Step #5: Once you have your battery charged, discharge it and then charge it again—this time on low current. This enables the magnesium sulfate to grind down the lead sulfate. Once it charges the second try, it should be good to go. This desulfation process can be maximized up to 5 times on any battery, extending its lifespan by months or even years.
Now that you know the basics on how to recondition dead batteries, give it a try and enjoy great savings and even a great earning opportunity with battery reconditioning.
Simple Steps To Recondition Your Car Battery
Dead car battery? Is it necessary to dump it and buy the new one? No it’s not as it can be reconditioned and work like new or in some cases is better than new. At the end of this article, you should know how to recondition a car battery and start to work on your beloved car battery.
Our usual 12V car batteries are known as Lead Acid battery which derived from the Lead terminal (LEAD) and the Sulphuric acid (ACID) electrolyte used in the battery construction. There are two type of car batteries which is Sealed Cell (dry-cell) and Flooded Cell (Wet-cell).
The flooded cell is the older one which has a detachable cap for each cell to be filled with distilled water to its working level. Even that this type can last longer for about 4 to 5 years, it is highly sensitive which required us to check and maintains the water level periodically. This is not the case for the newer type which is the sealed cell. For a fully charged sealed type battery, it can last at most 2 years without any maintenance on it cells but that’s it, after that it’s not serviceable.
[VIDEO] How to Restore a Car BatteryBoth type has their pros and cons but what’s more important is both can be reconditioned! Let’s stop wasting our money on buy the new one and start spending our time on recondition our car battery. Just stick in your mind that battery reconditioning is different from recharge as reconditioning a battery will restore the battery to full health while recharge only hold the battery power to only short period.
The cheapest way how to recondition a car battery is by using the magnesium sulphate or commonly known as Epsom salt. Below are the few short and simple steps that we can follow to recondition the battery.
- Connect multimeter to your battery and check voltage, if the multimeter indicates around 12V but not below 11.8V than you can start to reconditionate your battery. In case of values under 11.8V the chances to reconditionate the battery with this method are slim. A fully charged 12V battery should measure at 12.6 volts or above.
- Heat a half liter of distilled water to below the boiling point (60’C – 75’C)
- Then, put a quarter of kilogram of magnesium sulphate and stir it until all the magnesium sulphate dissolve.
- For this step, there will be 2 different method based on different type of cell;
a. Flooded cell – remove the battery cell cap
b. Sealed cell – drill trough the sealed cap
And then pour out all the old electrolyte.
- By using a funnel, insert the cell with the new electrolyte (Magnesius sulphate + Distilled water).
- Then replace the battery cap for the flooded cell and plug the hole for the sealed cell battery.
- Ensure the new electrolyte is properly distribute and no air bubble inside the cell
- Put it on a trickle charge overnight to charge it slowly and then after cooled down for a moment, it should be able to performs like a new one!
The battery charger can be obtained from the car battery workshop ether borrow it or buy it. If you wanted to buy one, it may cost like a new battery but quite bargain for a long term application.
Now, you already know how to recondition a car battery right? What are you waiting for? Lets raise our DIY experiences!
How to recondition Your Laptop Battery
Replacing a laptop battery when the old one is still working just fine might be an expensive endeavor. Fortunately, you do not need to shell out the $100 or more in the name of replacing your computer’s battery. This article will disclose to you how to recondition a laptop battery in 4 easy ways. Some of these ways are technical while others are strange and exciting.
[VIDEO] How to Recondition a Laptop BatteryDifferent laptops come with different batteries. The three most common types of laptop batteries are:
- Nickel-cadmium (NiCad);
- Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH);
- Lithium Ion (Li-Ion);
Reconditioning only works for NiCad and NiMH batteries. Apart from making your aging computer battery to hold its charge for longer, these four methods on how to recondition a laptop battery will save you lots of cash.
METHOD 1: Recalibration.
Is your laptop battery not lasting as long as it should or is it not charging properly? It is time to recalibrate it. Recalibration is recommended if the battery was never left to die or it is always plugged in. Your laptop battery needs recalibration when it never charges to 100 percent or if the operating system indicates 40 minutes of power remaining, but the laptop dies later or sooner. Here are four straightforward steps to recalibrate you laptop battery manually.
Step 1: Charge your laptop battery to its maximum percentage.
Step 2: Unplug your laptop from the power source and deactivate your screensaver and any hibernation/ sleep modes to allow your battery to discharge faster. Ensure your laptop is running on battery power only and allow it to drain fully. You can use your computer during this time, but be aware of the level of charge to avoid losing your data when the battery suddenly dies. Allow your laptop to power off.
Step 3: Allow your laptop to remain turned off for 4 to 5 hours.
Step 4: Plug back your laptop and let the battery charge all the way to 100 percent. At this juncture, your laptop battery should be giving you the correct readings of the actual battery capacity. Power back your computer and reset your power management settings to what they were before. Keep monitoring your laptop to ensure that it is properly re-calibrated.
METHOD 2: Cooling the Laptop.
For Lithium-ion laptop batteries, you can increase their lifespan by making sure your computer is cool at all times. If your laptop gets pretty hot, you can purchase a cooling pad.
METHOD 3: Unplug at Full Charge.
Try letting your battery charge up to 100 percent and then unplug your laptop. When the battery is about to die, plug it in again and let it charge up. Nevertheless, this method reduces the lifespan of new Lithium-ion batteries. To remedy this, allow a lithium-ion battery to discharge up to 40 to 45 percent, then charge it back up to 75 or 85 percent.
METHOD 4: Remove the Battery When the Laptop is Plugged in.
Try removing the battery during times when your laptop is connected to a power source if it has a removable battery. Even though the chemical reactions will keep occurring in your battery regardless of whether it is in or out of your laptop, this step will help to recondition your laptop’s battery and increase its lifespan as well. Before doing this, make sure power outages do not occasionally hit your area of residence.
If your laptop battery is too old or there is something broken in the battery, consider purchasing a new or refurbished battery. Recalibration is by far the best method to recondition the battery of your laptop.
How to Recondition Golf Cart Batteries
Recondition golf cart batteries is one decision that may save you lots of money and stress especially if you are golf cart owner. This is because it saves one from frequently replacing the current battery with a new. This is a negative balanced on the wallet. This can change if one is impacted with knowledge of how to recondition golf cart batteries.
The step by step guide on how to recondition golf cart batteries is an easy to master process that involves routine and mastery of your cart battery. There are things that as a golf cart owner, you must always put in mind.
The regular checks on how your battery is performing should determine when you need to book an appointment with a professional golf cart battery conditioner. One of these is the pace at which the cart is moving or stopping. If you experience abnormality on the two functions, then this tells you that it is time.
One can also learn about a malfunction when charging the battery. It’s important to learn about time your battery takes to a full charge and the frequency of charging. These shall help you notice when your cart battery needs work.
Let’s get down to what golf cart battery reconditioning experts do. Inspecting your battery every component of your battery ought to be part of the routine. This means checking the rods. Rods play a major role in electron process that goes on, in this function, the lead plate builds up sulfur deposit around it and prevents the battery from storing charge. This explains why some batteries operate under capacity.
One should be careful when treating the battery cells. This would mean dissolving and deposit on the cell that may hamper their performance. This can be done by enhancing distilled water that is poured in the cells. Epsom salts can be influential in this process. Once the solution is created, it is then poured into the cells.
Corrosion is continuous negative action, that is unavoidable. Good news is the rate of corrosion can be slowed down in favor of your battery life. Scrubbing the terminals with sodium bi carbonated scrubbing tool can put a lead on accelerated corrosion. You can then rinse of the baking soda off the terminals with clean water.
Another thing that one should always check is the battery voltage. This should a routine to determine just how great or how wanting your battery is. Low voltage is a warning flash light that you need to condition your battery or you will get stuck in the middle of the course action.
Following this routine makes you intimately understand your battery. This not withstanding, one can always tell which aspect of the battery is not working right. This goes from when to add distilled water to when to replace the acid and if need there be, when it is time to replace the whole battery altogether.
One glaring warning though is that battery is a mechanic creation; any mishandling should always be avoided. It’s important to get genuine advice on from the experts. If you have problems in doing it yourself, engage experts.
How to Recondition Hybrid Battery
The auto industry is bracing for changing times ahead. The bet is on whether they should go for battery only to correspond with diminishing oil wells and climate change pressure, or plug-in hybrid. As Tesla briefs for pure electric vehicles, the initial gas-only auto manufacturers have the future plugged into plug-in hybrids. The consequence is emerging use of hybrid batteries, and in this part, I talk about Hybrid Battery Reconditioning.
What does Battery Reconditioning mean?
When I asked a friend whether he knows the ABC of his car’s power source, he was hesitant and quick enough to refer me to his mechanic. However, as someone can feel headache and stop at a chemist shop to buy pain suppressors, so is the need to have some helpful knowledge to maintain the alternative powerhouse of your machine. The preliminary must-know thing on the list is the meaning of car battery reconditioning.
Battery reconditioning is the process of returning a used battery to its full functional capacity. Batteries start to lose their capacity after manufacture. Why? It is caused by the effect of the accumulation of Sulfate Crystal on the battery plate. The result is battery losing charge-hold capacity. Ideally, the battery loses capacity every time it discharges and recharges. For hybrid batteries, they contain modules, for instance, Toyota Prius has 28 modules. The modules damage with time and a sole remedy is to replace the modules to give it a longer life.
Present Hybrid Cars with Battery
Many vehicles run on battery. Common ones that I bet you have come across your neighborhood or media include Toyota Highlander. This car uses meta hybrid battery that also runs Lexus RX, 240 cells and can 288 volts. Ford Escape uses the battery from Sanyo; the battery has 250 nickel metal hybrid cells with the capacity of 330 volts. Honda Insight is propelled by 1.2-volt nickel metal hybrid D cells, made up of 120 Panasonic. Saturn Vue Gre Line enjoys companion of 36-volt nickel metal. Whereas all these vehicles run on nickel cell hybrid batteries, Lithium Ion battery is in line for future generation for higher energy density.
Advantages of Reconditioning Batteries
Purchasing a second battery when your car starts lazing around is like counting yourself out because you have add weight. The remedy is to hit the gym, shed extra kilos and Boom! Fit to go. Same applies to batteries. There are more benefits to reconditioning a battery than buying a new one. Instead of spending big money to find the best new battery for your car, better follow some simple instructions and recondition your existing battery, the process of reconditioning your battery will save you a lot of money. For instance, whereas battery reconditioning can cost $70 on the higher side, a new battery will empty your ATM by between $85 and $100. Nevertheless, reconditioning one will give longer-term service at a fraction cost. Secondly, by reconditioning that battery you subtract one more battery dumped to environmental detriment. You also deserve an Oscar when you recondition a battery because it reduces demand for raw materials such as Lithium and steel. Through this honorable act, you protect not only the world but also the atmosphere.
Instructions on How to Recondition Hybrid Battery Pack
Having discussed what battery reconditioning is, the industry potential, and the future, it is wise to equip you with “home remedy” systematic instructions on how to recondition your hybrid car power pack. Please read the following disclaimer before you begin the reconditioning process: Dear hybrid automotive owners, have in mind that every hybrid battery has a unique recharge and discharge patterns. Charlie’s Toyota Prius experience may differ with Monica’s Ford Escape. Because others have had positive experiences following our instructions does not necessarily mean that you will have the same, similar or any results.
Conditions one can recondition hybrid car batteries
Reconditioning is not performed just on any battery. You must examine a prolonged spell of low performance of your car’s battery. Even after that, you need to ascertain that the battery has no other technical problems. In most cases, following the above treat for battery reconditioning is adequate for your battery performance restore. Keen observation should however be placed on battery condition the levels degradation levels to perform the reconditioning.
When the above does not yield based on IMA light or red triangle warning, you need to narrow down to the battery’s one or more modules. It might have experienced a hard failure. Unfortunately, hard failure is irreparable by re conditioning. Physical replacement may be an option.
Step-by-step guide on hybrid car battery reconditioning
1) Charge the battery to it’s full maximum, examine that the voltage stops rising. However, whereas a full balancing is essential here, it is not a requirement in at first.
2) Drain the battery (discharge) to approximately 0.8V/cell (consider you battery’s pack levels termination points).
3) Repeat step 1
4) Repeat step 2 but until your battery reads 0.5V/cell
5) Repeat step 1
6) Repeat step 2 until your battery reads 0.0V/cell
7) Tired of repetition? Hope not. One more step, charge and ensure battery balance (just one last time). Leave the charger to run for 4-6 hours when the voltage stops rising. This is a way of ensuring the pack is well balanced.
8) Disconnect the battery. Let it rest for one hour before igniting the vehicle.
The above steps are not a one day event. Take at least a week to go through all the processes. However, when deprived by time, you can as well conduct two discharges and that will take you two days less.
When to Replace Hybrid Car Pack
Buying a hybrid car may mean two things. First, you are trendy and move with not only automotive revolution. Second, you are environmental friendly and you want to rave a few miles on green energy. Either way, it is a great way to save extra expenses. However, there comes a time when your car battery misbehaves even before expiry of half its lifespan. In case of such a misfortune and reconditioning has failed, then replacing of the car pack becomes inevitable.
Before replacing the battery pack, first seek the manufacturer’s insight as they understand their products better. For Toyota has about 100,000-mile or eight-year warranty for hybrid battery repairs. Therefore, before considering replacement exploit all the viable and cost-effective options. For instance, whereas testing and reconditioning may cost $1,200 to $1,800, rebuilding costs $1,500 to $5,000. Alternatively, a new battery is $3,000 to $8,000.
Replacing your hybrid car battery pack will might come when your car is around eight years. At this point, the cost of the battery pack repair is almost half the value of the car. Therefore, a better way is to sell the car, top up and have a new hybrid car.